The pitahaya, also known by other names such as picajón, yaurero, warakko, dragon fruit or dragon fruit, is a fruit native to Central America of the cactus family.
It has an oval shape, with spines on the outside and three varieties can be found: yellow on the outside and white pulp with seeds on the inside, red on the outside and white pulp or red pulp with seeds on the inside.
It is very aromatic and its flavor is very sweet and pleasant, it is also essential to highlight its excellent nutritional value.
Pitahaya contains antioxidants, mucilages, ascorbic acid, phenols.
This fruit is rich in Vitamin C, it also contains vitamins of group B (such as B1 or thiamin, B3 or niacin and B2 or riboflavin), minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, and has high water content and possesses vegetable protein and Soluble fiber. The seeds, which are edible, contain beneficial fatty acids.
The Pitahaya has anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant action.
Benefits and medicinal uses of Pitahaya, pitahaya or dragon fruit.
Delays cell aging
Strengthens the immune system.
Stimulates the production of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets.
It can prevent arteriosclerosis.
It helps regulate intestinal transit.
Reduces the risk of suffering cerebral and cardiac infarction.
The seeds have a laxative effect.
It helps us prevent kidney stones.
It inhibits the growth of tumor cells.
Regulates blood sugar level (blood sugar).
The pitahaya is a satiating fruit.
It stimulates collagen production.
Improves the absorption of iron (essential to prevent or combat iron deficiency anemia).
Excellent for the formation of bones and diets.
Reduces levels of uric acid or gout.
Being rich in water and low in carbohydrates, its consumption is excellent for people who are on a diet to lose weight or who have diabetes.
The infusion of leaves relieve headache, improve insomnia, anxiety and nervous disorders.
- The consumption of foods with antioxidants, such as pitahaya, helps us to have greater resistance to infections.
- The captina, a component of the seeds of the pulp of pitahaya, is a cardiac tonic that promotes the correct functioning of the heart and seems to combat arrhythmias.
- Vitamin C helps us prevent the appearance of cataracts or glaucoma and to take care of our sight.
- The pitahaya has antihistamine properties, so it is especially beneficial for people with asthma, sinusitis or rhinitis.
- Phenols present in pitahaya and other foods of plant origin can contribute very positively to the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.